Saturday, February 09, 2008

a humbling experience

To put up my client's bulletin boards is truly a humbling experience
(To explain why my client needs bulletin boards every freaking month is something I cannot fathom also so I wont even try to explain)

Every time my ego becomes a little bloated or I think I'm already too good and way past manual labour, the paper cuts and pin pricks and sore muscles I get from installing them always brings me back to reality. And I won't even talk about the teasing I get about how my height is not proportionate to the boards I'm installing because that's a whole other post about height discrimination and the joys and pains of being vertically challenged

And I promise myself each month that I'll get someone else to do this next month and I always declare that my Mom didn't send me to college for four (oh right, five) years just to cut and paste and pin stuff that I really don't care about, like a high school student. Come to think of it, I don't recall making bulletin boards in high school because I've always thought they were lame (plus I was never really artistic or creative in that sense)

But my point is this...

Do something every once in a while that will humble you and bring you down from your high horse. We should never be too good for anything, because, hey, we all started from the bottom, we all got our hands dirty, so don't go thinking you're better than anyone else (unless you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, so i hate you, so stop complaining)

Reality check? Check!

3 comments:

Migs Bassig said...

I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth and degenerated badly from there.

Beautiful post. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

cheeeeck. miss you.

Switch said...

My former colleagues were also subjected to similar humiliation.

I have never heard from them since then.

Such a shame.

But yes, I agree with Witness Street/Lane, this is a beautiful post tugged with a nice blend of humor.