Wednesday, November 08, 2006

laughing at the planets

retrograde - Of or relating to the brief, regularly occurring, apparently backward movement of a planetary body in its orbit as viewed against the fixed stars, caused by the differing orbital velocities of Earth and the body observed

my former boss firmly believes that during the retrograde period, a lot of things go wrong, particularly when it comes to all forms of communication. while i do not believe in stuff like that, my day yesterday was a study in murphy's law. from forgetting to turn off the rice cooker at the apartment, to forgetting to bring the directions to the interview we were going to, to discovering that the 1500+ database that i got is practically useless and other small stuff that if you put together adds up to one absolutely crazy day

and how do you deal with a day like that? do i cry my eyes out? do i bitch and moan? do i consider jumping off a 3 story building just to injure myself and earn myself a relaxing day at the hospital?

i laugh like crazy

it's a solution that has worked for me the past weeks. whenever i get pressured, i laugh at the silliest things, from ancient jokes (what do you get when beth tamayo marries kenny loggins) to inane comments that turn into full-blown laughing fits (green peace = green peas) to just laughing at the stupid and foolish mistakes that you've been making the whole day

laughter takes the edge off. it doesnt correct your mistakes but it gives you a fresh perspective on your limitations as a human being. and weirdly enough, laughing at my boo-boos makes me want to strive better the next time. and laughing somehow gives me a sense of hope that tomorrow is a new day and things can get better

so yes, laughter really is the best medicine. well, at least in my case. try it, maybe it will work for you too

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."
-- Charles M. Schulz, Charlie Brown in "Peanuts"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so what do you get when beth tamayo marries kenny loggins?!

now i can't work... :P